Multiple National Winners from New Jersey!
The NJSPE is proud to announce that the first-place finisher in the National MATHCOUNTS competition is New Jersey’s Marvin Mao from Davidson Academy from our Bergen Hudson Chapter!
Alexander Wang (Millburn Middle School – North Central Chapter) placed 4th in the nation.
Also, the New Jersey team made up of Marvin Mao, Alexander Wang, Andrew Lin (Timberlane Middle School – Mercer Chapter) and Evan Fan (William Annin Middle School – Mercer Chapter) are the top team in the country! Congratulations to the team and their coaches Daniel Plotnick, Stephanie Cucinella, Ying Lu and Audrey Fan. Ms. Cucinella also served as the state team coach.
All of the MATHCOUNTS competitions were held online for 2020-2021. They began with monthly practice competitions from October through January. The Mathletes then moved through the Chapter Competitions, the Chapter Invitational Competition and finally the State Competition. The top for Mathletes comprised the team that advanced to Nationals. There, they competed against teams from all 50 states and the US Territories.
New Jersey MATHCOUNTS is supported by the NJSPE Education Foundation.
The 2019 NJ MATHCOUNTS State Competition was held on Saturday, March 9, 2019 at Rutgers University. This year, 145 schools, 125 teams and 584 teams competed in regional competitions for the honor of representing their schools at the State Competition. The advancing team (below) will compete at the National Competition May 11 – 14 in Orlando. (Last year, the New Jersey team placed third at Nationals.)
While it takes many volunteers to coordinate the regional and state events, the people listed below are the driving force behind the effort:
- Rick Adelsohn, PE, State Scoring Coordinator
- Calisto Bertin, PE, Bergen-Hudson Chapter Coordinator
- Robert Burdick, PE, Ocean-Burlington Chapter Coordinator
- Thomas Fisher, PE, Mercer Chapter Coordinator and Golf Outing Chairperson
- Maggie Gutierrez, PE, South Jersey Chapter Coordinator
- Christopher Iacono, PE, Mercer Chapter Coordinator
- Drew Lillis, PE, State Chairperson
- Harry McNally, PE, Middlesex, Union, and Monmouth (MUM) Chapter Coordinator
- John Rhodes, PE, North Central Coordinator
- Atul Shah, PE, MUM Chapter Coordinator
- Vatsal Shah, PE, MUM Chapter Coordinator
- John Tardy, PE, MUM Chapter Coordinator
- With special recognition going to Alyse Lillis
If you would like details on how to get involved with or how to become a sponsor of MATHCOUNTS, please contact Lisa Jones at LJones@njpsi.com.
For more information on the national MATHCOUNTS event, please visit https://www.mathcounts.org/